Thursday, October 7, 2010

Meditation: Sacred or Sin?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101007/ap_on_re/us_rel_southern_baptists_yoga

It seemed to me that the main argument this preacher has against yoga is meditation. But Psalms 12:4 says
"Consider, and hear me, O Lord, my God. Enlighten my eyes, that I never sleep in death"

Hmmm.... enlightenment...isn't that one of the goals of meditation? But what does this preacher's holy book have to say about meditation itself?

And the words of my mouth shall be such as may please: and the meditation of my heart always in thy sight (Psalms 18:15)

My mouth shall meditate truth, and my lips shall hate wickedness. (Proverbs 8:7)


Sounds to me like these Southern Baptists ought to read a bit before denouncing what many people would say is a healthy practice. And have they even looked at their own rituals? What is kneeling if not a pose/posture, and what is prayer if not meditation and those recitations of the Lord's Prayer and the Doxology sound an awful lot like chanting to me. Where do you stand?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on that. Meditation has been used in many religions throughout the world. People these days should just stop, that a step back, and look at what they do to worship the divine.

    ReplyDelete